Tuesday 21 July 2009

Words of Encouragement

This is not the blog entry that I planned to post this week (I have two other topics that I have been chewing on), but I think that it is appropriate today. I have had several friends receiving messages from God of encouragement, and I thought that they would be good to share, because it is encouragement that everyone needs. Especially in the times that we live in, when we are so focussed on what is happening around us that our eyes are taken off Jesus' face, and we get depressed, angry, resentful, jealous and all sorts of things.

I hope that these messages will help you to turn your eyes back to Jesus, to look full in His wonderful face, and to realise that, no matter what is happening around you, He always has been, still is, and always will be, in full control of everything that is happening around you. Many times we think that He is asleep, and that we need to take control of our own lives, but His plan is always WAY better than any that we can come up with.

So please, sit back, relax, DO NOTHING, and enjoy the roller-coaster ride of faith:

John 16:33 - These things have I spoken unto you, that in me ye may have peace. In the world ye have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

This is an extract from an email that I received from a friend. It is best reproduced in their own words:

To me, His word was pretty strong. The preacher was preaching and he said, “When Abraham tried to help God, he made an Ishmael; and right throughout Abrahams life and even to this day Ishmael has plagued Isaac, if you move in your own strength, beware you will make an Ishmael that will be in your way for the rest of your life”

Later that evening, as we read a devotional book to the kids; the following verse jumped out of the page: Prov 3:5-6 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take. – now I have never read this version before, my NIV says “acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight”. Here God was telling me acknowledge is not enough, I need to seek. Also not that God will straighten our paths (and possible mistakes), but that as we seek God, He will show us which path to take.

And finally - Invest time in relationships!

(...and by DO NOTHING - I don't mean sit on your backside ... but allow God to guide all your steps. If you want me to elaborate, please ask :) )