Thursday 1 July 2010

What's in a Name? (Part 7)

‘Please forgive my tardiness, kind sir, but I have been busy with matters of planetary importance,’ the Ruler said as he entered the room. He glanced at the Stranger, and did a mental double-take. ‘What are you doing here? I hope …’ he trailed off.

He started again. ‘Come in, come in. Anything I can do for you?’

‘Not at all, my dear friend,’ the Stranger replied as he took the seat offered to him by the Ruler. ‘I am just curious about some developments that have been brought to my attention over the last few years, and I thought I’d come and investigate for myself.’

The Ruler looked concerned. ‘I hope that everything is in order? The tithes? The reports? I have been doing everything that the policies dictate!’

The Stranger shook his head to each of the queries. ‘No, everything is in order there. Those points are irrelevant to my business here. I am more concerned with other matters – more pressing matters.’