Monday 8 August 2011

There is a Time for Editing!

Hokay, so I realised yet another thing tonight (it's Thursday the 4th August as I write this - I'll post it at a later date). It's funny how these things keep hitting me over the head. Maybe I'm going insane, slowly ... but hey, I'm ok with that if this is what it means!

I had just started to work on my current editing project - a rather large and, to date, tough one. I've really been slogging through the mud on this one, thinking that it was very tough (and saying this to anyone who would listen!), and yet, since before I even received the first document to scan over I was arguing to work on this project! And challenging isn't the word. The work itself is a challenge, but so is the content. It has been causing me to be very introspective, but in a good way. It, step by step, takes me to task on my relationship (virtually non-existant) with God, and discusses the reasons why this is the case - why there is no relationship. It is brilliant stuff, and when it is finally published, I will recommend it to any thinking Christian - or to anyone who dares to call themselves 'Christian'.

That aside, a friend came online. This friend is a publisher who has read a little of my work and wishes me to write more. The problem: I cannot write (work for myself) while I have editing (work for others) on my plate. Suddenly I realised that what I am doing right now (the editing) is what I'm meant to be doing right now. This is, in fact, what I said:

Unfortunately I believe that there is a time for everything, and at the moment, for me, it is the time to be editing. This is stuff that I need to be reading right now. Questions that I need to consider and decisions that I need to make. I am at peace with the fact that I do not write at the moment. I have been writing blog posts about my thinking at the moment. For me, this is where I need to be at the moment.

I do still muse about my stories, and occasionally I get a new part worked out. i then make notes about it, and then I continue with the editing.


And the funny thing was, I wasn't lying. What is even stranger is that, just as suddenly, the editing isn't so difficult any more. I'm now starting to enjoy it. Sure, it hasn't changed at all - I'm still making around about the same number of corrections per page, but it is no longer such a daunting task. It is now something that I can handle.

Anyways, I'm heading off to bed (on the day I write this), so I'll bid you adieu with this:

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:

a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NIV